Outside of the basic essentials ,here are some ideas for you to pack in your hospital birth bag that I found to be helpful over the years . You don’t need to pack them all if you don’t want to or feel the need .
1. Paper work – Birth plan , insurance card , hospital forms , list of people to contact when baby is born and if banking cord blood – the cord blood kit and papers .
2. Birth ball – I LOVE the birth ball ! sitting on it – Bouncing , rock side to side , hips circles, make figure 8’s , squat against it and lean on it . Sitting on the birth ball upright allows your baby’s head to push on your cervix which helps you dilate.
3. Ear plugs , sleep mask , white noise machine , calming or meaningful music, flameless candles , aromatherapy oils and electric diffuser – Anything to drown out the hospital surroundings and noises .
4. Arnica tablets – eat every 4 hours during birth and after to speed up healing
5. Tea bags of – Red Raspberry leaf tea – Drink during labor to strengthen and tone the uterus and help with pain as well as after for enriching breast milk . Camomile – to help relax and calm the mind and body
6. Honey sticks – for extra energy when needed .
7. mason pearson brush to help with itchy skin that can happen if you get an epidural .
8. Hard candy / lolly pops , breath spray or dry mouth wash for dry mouth .
9. Lip balm/ Chapstick and facial mist to keep hydrated and refreshed.
10 . Bach flower remedies – Rescue remedy awesome for stress
11. snacks and drinks
12. Toiletries – Tooth brush , tooth paste, facial cleaner , face cream , shampoo , conditioner , body cream , soap , hair brush and hair ties .
13. Pillows and cozy blanket ( The hospital ones are the WORST ! )
14. Clothes – Slippers , socks , dark , old or ruinable nightgown or old tee shirt , bathrobe , underwear that you don’t mind getting ruined , 2 nursing bras, comfortable outfit to wear home .
15. Maxi pads and nursing pads-
16 . Healing nipple cream or ointment –
17. Phone charger
18 . camera , video camera
20. Colace – Stool softener to help with after birth to poop easier .
21. Inspirational objects – like crystals , photos of loved ones or gurus , affirmations …..
22. Massage cream – to have your partner massage you during labor .
22. For baby – 2-3 outfits , baby blanket , hat , socks .
23. Car seat –